- Moving Tips
Packing & Storage
Tips on Preparing Your Items
- Store clothes in a wardrobe box so that you can allow them to hang.
- Try and use the same size boxes, you’ll have an easier time stacking.
- If possible use the original boxes for storing electronics. Remember to label the cords.
- Seal your boxes with packing tape to keep out dust.
- Heavy items should be packed in smaller boxes.
- Label the contents of each box on all sides for easy reference.
- Under filled boxes are more likely to collapse when stacked. Use clean, white paper – never use newspaper, as the ink comes off on your hands and goods – or packing popcorn to fill in the extra volume.
- Line boxes with plastic, which contain documents or books to avoid moisture damage.
- To avoid crushing book spines, pack flat rather than vertically.
- Motorcycles, cars, lawnmowers, and other machinery should be drained of all fluids prior to storing.
- Leave slipcovers on furniture and cover them with plastic. Wrap with padding for added protection.
- If you have a Hide-a-bed, tie it shut with sturdy rope before you start to move it. They should not be stored vertically as this can damage the frames.
- Disassemble everything that you can, labeling everything as you go. Use zip lock bags to keep the small parts together.
- Use the space in your furniture – drawers, shelves, under and in desk etc…
- Refrigerators, freezers and washers should be completely clean and dry. Once in storage, a box of baking soda and leaving the doors open slightly will help keep them fresh. * Pallets, cardboard, plastic or drop cloths will help keep your goods off the concrete floor.
- When packing up your goods, try to keep like items together for easy locating (e.g. kitchen, bathroom, living room…).